Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
Everyone making an application for a permit to carry a handgun is strongly encouraged to visit the New Jersey State Police (NJSP) website in the Firearms Information section. Please download and review the Permit to Carry Instructions here. The current application process is not web-based and must be completed on paper as required by the NJSP.
Please note - The Consent for Mental Health Search (Form SP066) is mandatory as part of the application. You can download the form here.
Please note - In order to schedule fingerprinting, the applicant must be provided three (3) things by the Holmdel Police. (1) Case Number, (2) Agency ORI# (NJ0131800) and (3) Service Code. You must contact the Holmdel Police to obtain this information. Contact us at 732-946-9690, ext. 1741.
Please note - The Agency ORI and Municipal Code are two different codes. Our Municipal Code is 1318.
Upon completion of all the requirements listed in the instructions, applicants must schedule an appointment with the Department Firearm's Application Coordinator. C to schedule an appointment.
Purchaser's Permit and Firearms Identification Cards
Update from the New Jersey State Police Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS)
For applications submitted prior to October 01, 2020, the paper permits must be obtained at Police Headquarters prior to going for purchase of handgun. Information about this is included in the email sent on application approval. DO NOT APPEAR AT POLICE HEADQUARTERS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED TO RETRIEVE YOUR PERMIT.
For applications submitted online from October 01, 2020 onwards, the paper permits will no longer be available. They are being replaced by electronic permits. An e-Permit becomes active from the date of approval of S.T.S.033 application. An e-Permit is initially active for 90 days , and can be renewed once for another 90-days period. For an application with e-Permit, applicant can directly go to the licensed firearms dealership along with the information in the approval email to purchase a handgun. No paper permit will be issued by the Police Department for these applications.
For Holmdel Township Residents
The Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) is the new online application process for obtaining Firearms ID cards and handgun permits.
FARS is taking the place of the STS 033 form. Applicants can apply online for all the same options as the paper application form with the exception of Permits to Carry.
All Holmdel Township residents should apply online via the New Jersey State Police FARS website.
- Step 1
- Go to the FARS website
- Step 2
- Complete the online application on FARS. Applicants must use the Holmdel Police Department ORI number (NJ0131800). Applicant must utilize the correct ORI number.
- If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they can re-apply. All application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- FARS requires the applicant to provide email address and phone numbers of two reputable references (friends, co-workers, family members, etc.). References will receive a questionnaire via email. References must complete the questionnaire immediately in order to process your background investigation.
- Applicants will receive automated email updates throughout the application process.
- Mental Health Search Forms
- If in the past 10 years (from application date) the applicant lived in other states, the applicant must submit a Mental Health Search Form at the Holmdel Police Department. Applicants will sign the form in the presence of a department representative, giving us permission to request mental health records outside of New Jersey.
- Step 3
- Applicants must pay for the Initial Firearms Identification Card (FID) and/or Pistol Purchase permits. Applications will not be processed until fee(s) are paid in full.
- The FID card fee is $5.00. Each handgun permit fee is $2.00. The fee(s) are non-refundable and are required per NJAC 13:54-1.4. Check or money order is accepted. Make checks payable to Holmdel Township Police Department.
- Payments must be made in person during normal business hours. Applicants must bring all of the following; payment, valid driver’s license and/or photo ID, a printed copy of the FARS application that includes confirmation number.
- Step 4
- Once the application is completed, approved and paid for, the applicant will receive an email from the FARS system with the approved documents.
Retired Police Officers
First Time Applicants & Current Firearms Identification (FID) Card Holders
Police Department Hours/Contact
Applicants can make payments at the Police Department Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Report to the Records Bureau window in Police Headquarters. For questions or concerns regarding cards and permits, contact us at 732-946-9690, ext. 1741.
For more information on FARS please visit https://www.state.nj.us/njsp/firearms/fars.shtml